This is a SPECIAL event GENEROUSLY SPONSORED BY Bates College and Colby College in celebration of Portland Dance Month. Special thanks to Carol Dilley and Annie Kloppenberg!
FREE for Bates & Colby College students
$5 for all other college students w/ ID
$12-20 sliding scale for everyone else!
You may already know Kathleen from her previous visit to Moving Target or from multiple years at the Bates Dance Festival. To quote Delanie McDonough, "If you like improvising, pretending to be a ninja, going upside down, and badass dance parties, DONT MISS THIS CLASS!" Check out their website http://www.la-alternativa.us/home.html
GUT Motives [alternative dance techniques]
- An ongoing practice/research investigating corporeality from internal impulse to external expression.
- An intimate/animated arena for physical/creative exploration, deeply informed by live/original music.
- Motivated by interpretations of GUT, including good, general unified theory, viscera, center of gravity, gravitas, courage, instinct, intuition and expressive vulnerability.
- Exploring states/acts of motion/imagination through a hybrid of traditional /contemporary /alternative /intuitive forms.
- Utilizing embodiment/mobility/motivity as ways and means of perception/intuition/action.
- Deepening awareness/understanding of the body with energy work, hands-on experiments, kinesthetic/somatic improvisation, technical modalities and three-dimensional choreography.
- For movers who are curious/serious/adventurous about sensate virtuosity, kinetic efficiency, interactive intelligence and performance-level dancing.
Kathleen Hermesdorf is an international dance artist, educator and producer based in San Francisco. She directs ALTERNATIVA, with musician Albert Mathias. Hermesdorf has been dancing in the Bay Area since 1991 and teaches, performs, improvises, creates and curates around the world. Her work has been presented in the Bay Area, New York, Seattle, Berlin, Amsterdam, Ballydehob and Dakar, amongst other locations, in commission for universities, companies and independent dancers, and in collaboration with art partners worldwide. She was a member of Bebe Miller Company, Contraband/Sara Shelton Mann and Margaret Jenkins Dance Company, and co-director of Hermesdorf & Wells Dance Company with Scott Wells and Collusion with Stephanie Maher. She is the co-director of PORCH summerschool at Ponderosa in Stolzenhagen, Germany. Hermesdorf brings over 20 years of experience from the field, studio and stage to her work and holds a BFA and an MFA in Dance Performance + Pedagogy.
ALTERNATIVA is an apparatus for deeply integrated contemporary dance and music via collaboration, creation, improvisation, performance, production, curation and education. Active in San Francisco since 1998, the organization supports the creative work of the directors, known for radical dance classes, multi-disciplinary performance projects and visceral musical endeavors delving into the corporeality and ineffability of human conditions, behaviors and other curiosities. Activities engaging an extensive population of artists, audiences and participants include an annual FRESH Festival of Experimental Dance, Performance + Music in San Francisco; ongoing classes and workshops in the Bay Area; and residencies at universities, festivals and studios worldwide. ALTERNATIVA is fiscally sponsored by Dancers’ Group and has received support from the Zellerbach Family Foundation, William + Flora Hewlett Foundation, Kenneth Rainin Foundation, Fleishhacker Foundation, Dancers’ Group’s Matching Grant and CA$H Grant, CHIME/MJDC, the San Francisco Arts Commission and The Suitcase Fund.
www.la-alternativa.us | www.freshfestival.org